L2 Switching Simulation
To add and configure switches in GNS3 (Switching Simulation), you need to perform the following steps:
- Once you have downloaded the VMDK file, open the Preferences window in GNS3 by navigating Edit and Preferences in the GNS3 console.
- Select Qemu VMs in the left pane and then click New to add a new Qemu VM template.
- On the QEMU VM Type page, select IOSv-l2 in from the Type drop-down list and then click Next.
- On the QEMU VM name page, specify a name for this Qemu VM in the Name text box. Click Next to proceed.
- In the QEMU binary and memory page, select the binary directory. If you select x86 binary for the 64-bit system, you might get an error during opening the console of the switch in GNS3. Hence, select the appropriate binary depending on the type of architecture of your system. Click Next to proceed.
- On the Disk image page, select the New Image radio button. Browse and select the IOSv2-l2 VMDK file that you have downloaded previously. Click Finish to close the New QEMU VM template window.
- Drag the recently added switch in the work view area and start the switch.
- Open the console of the added switch. Let’s complete the booting process. If everything goes in the right way, the console of the switch will be displayed.